Colorado’s current flat income tax isn’t quite as flat as it seems. The reality is that the highest income Coloradans pay a much lower share of their income than everybody else.
This year, we have an opportunity to ask the top 5% of Coloradans to pay their fair share while reducing income tax rates for the other 95% of us. Initiative #271 does just that, while also generating an estimated $2 billion in state revenue, with half going to raising pay for public school teachers and support staff and the other half going to addressing the impacts of our growing population on infrastructure and other state programs.
In light of the impacts of the global pandemic on our state budget, this measure is needed now more than ever. And it’s only fair to ask those whose incomes were not affected by the pandemic to pitch in a little bit more. And for those of you who have been calling for TABOR reform, this is the best shot we’ve had in years to offset TABOR’s negative impacts on state priorities.
But before it gets onto the November ballot, we need to help the campaign gather the required number of signatures. Click here to find out where you can sign a petition in the weeks ahead. Or if you live in Lakewood, super-volunteer Sarah Nelson has petitions at her home and would love to have you stop by (six feet away, of course) to sign, almost every day after 10am. She lives at 893 Oak Street. Please call/text her first at 720-579-1485 to make sure she’s home or to schedule an appointment.
If you need more information, there’s a lot available. See the links below or visit FairTaxColorado.org to explore for yourself: